Your privacy is very important to us! Please read this statement below to learn more about what information we collect, how we use it and what we do to protect your privacy.
What Personal Data We Collect and Why
We may collect personal data when you:
Submit your application to join Meshkat Community as volunteer When you send your application to join Meshkat Community, we will ask you to fill in one or more “Application Forms’. Therein we will ask you for various information needed to establish your identity, relevant education, professional experience, your area of expertise and any other information that can better help us to match your skills and interests with one of the different activities we run within PeaceGeeks.
Contact us with your questions/ comments/ ideas/ complaints We may collect various information, depending on the manner in which you contact us (e.g., if you send us an email, we will collect your email address and name) and the reason for contacting us (e.g., if you have a complaint). In any case, we will collect your contact details so we can respond to your query.
Subscribe to our newsletter/mailing list We will collect your name and your email address if you wish to subscribe to our newsletter or mailing list.
When you donate as an individual or become a corporate sponsor We will collect your name (or the name of the contact person, in case of corporate sponsor), contact and address details, donation amount, payment details (such as credit/debit card/PayPal account number), and any other information you voluntarily choose to provide.
When you report a problem with one of our Services We will collect your first and last names and your contact details so we can respond to your report. You will also need to describe the problem that you have experienced so we can take care of it.
When you visit the Website We may also collect certain data from your computer and Internet connection, including the IP address of your computer, the date and time you accessed our Website, the Internet address from which you link to our Website, the computer technology you are using (such as desktop or mobile device) and your movements and preferences on our Website. When visitors leave comments on our website or communications platforms, we may collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
From other sources We may receive your Personal Information from other online sources, such as our Social Media channels, or offline, such as at conferences, when you attend one of our events or when you call us. If you share images or content with PeaceGeeks social media channels and websites, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website may be able to download and extract any location data from images on the website.
How We Use Your Personal Information
We may use Personal Information:
- To respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as to send you newsletters;
- To send administrative information to you, for example, information regarding the Services and changes to our terms, conditions and policies;
- To process your donations and communicate with you regarding your donations;
- To process your application to join PeaceGeeks;
- To send you communications that we believe may be of interest to you;
- To communicate with you about side projects (ie – but not limited to: training opportunities, communication projects, participation on beta testing, etc.) that fit your skills and interests;
- To facilitate social media sharing functionalities, such as Facebook, LinkedIn or Instagram share buttons;
- To improve current and future delivery of our services (monitoring and evaluation);
- For our business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, developing new products, enhancing, improving or modifying our Services, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and operating and expanding our business activities;
- As we determine necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
Data Sharing Practices
We do not share your information with any third parties. Only those people within our team who have a direct need to access your personal information will have access to your profile information.
Specifically, your Personal Information may be disclosed:
- To our third party service providers who provide services, such as website hosting, data analysis, payment processing, information technology and related infrastructure provision, email delivery, auditing and other services;
- To identify you to anyone to whom you send messages through these Services;
- By you, on message boards, chat, profile pages, blogs, and other services to which you are able to post information and materials (including, without limitation, our Social Media Channels and Slack Channel). Please note that any information you post or disclose through these services may become public and may be available to other users and the general public. We urge you to be very careful when deciding to disclose any information on the Services;
- To a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, or assets (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings);
- As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
Third Party Services
In addition, we are not responsible for the information collection, use, disclosure or security policies or practices of other organizations, such as Facebook, Apple, Google, Microsoft, Slack, MailChimp, Chimp, EventBrite or any other app developer, app provider, social media platform provider, operating system provider, wireless service provider or device manufacturer, including with respect to any Personal Information you disclose to other organizations through or in connection with our Social Media Channels.
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our websites (where applicable), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile as well as any content those users wish to submit through our sites, channels and platforms.
Your Rights Over Your Data
If you have an account on our systems, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
If you would like to review, correct, update, suppress or delete Personal Information that has been previously provided to us by you, you may contact us at email@example.com.
In your request, please make clear what Personal Information you would like to have changed, whether you would like to have your Personal Information that you have provided to us suppressed from our database and, if applicable, let us know what limitations you would like to put on our use of your Personal Information that you have provided to us. For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the Personal Information associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes. There may also be residual information that will remain within our databases and other records, and that may not get removed.
You can also opt-out from receiving newsletters or other promotional materials by clicking on the ‘Unsubscribe’ link in each email you receive from us, or by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sensitive personal information
We ask that you do not send us, and you do not disclose, any sensitive Personal Information (e.g., social security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics, criminal background or trade union membership) on or through the our sites or otherwise to us.
Protecting Your Data
We seek to use reasonable organisational, technical and administrative measures to protect Personal Information within our organisation.
We limit access to information on a need-to-know basis and take appropriate measures to ensure that our people are aware that such information is only used in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
We undertake regular reviews of who has access to information that we hold to ensure that your information is only accessible by appropriately trained staff, volunteers and contractors.
Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of your account has been compromised), please immediately notify us in accordance with the “Contacting Us” section below.
Data breach procedures
Data Breach is defined as the unauthorized acquisition or access of unencrypted Confidential Information or Personal Data that compromises the confidentiality, integrity and availability of that information. All employees and volunteers are required to immediately notify the PeaceGeeks Board of Directors (email@example.com) of any actual or suspected Data Breach – including events that affect our third party vendors that provide PeaceGeeks with services or hosting.
Notice of Data Breaches will be provided to affected individuals and/or governmental agencies in accordance with applicable contractual and legal requirements. PeaceGeeks commits to a notification via email to affected parties as soon as possible but not later than 72 hours of reasonable suspicion of a Data Breach.
You can opt-out from receiving newsletters or other promotional materials by clicking on the ‘Unsubscribe’ link in each email you receive from us or – if the link is not available – by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
PeaceGeeks does not share any analytics data from this website with other parties.
Storage & Transfer of Personal Information
The Services are controlled and operated by us from the Canada. Your Personal Information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, and by using the Services you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have data protection rules that are different from those of your country. By submitting your personal information to us you agree to this transfer, storing or processing at a location outside a country where you reside.
Updates to this Policy
Last Updated on May 25 2018.